Your patient is a 35 year old male that was thrown from a motorcycle traveling at high speed. The volunteer fire department is attempting to package the patient as you arrive. They report that he has not opened his eyes and only moans when they move him. Answer the following questions based on your general impression and knowledge of airway management.
- At what time during your assessment would assess the patient’s airway?
- How would you open the patient’s airway to assess for patency?
- How would you administer supplemental oxygen for this patient? Be specific.
- What objective findings would suggest that a more advanced airway adjunct was indicated?
- You ultimately decide to place a supraglottic airway in your patient. How do you assess that the airway is in the appropriate place and working effectively after insertion?