Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 1 and 2
- Weekly Concepts
Initial Post Instructions
The Discussions in this course are set up deepen your understanding of the material as you make real world connections and employ creative thinking. To get the most from these discussions, full engagement is expected on the part of the student. Be sure to stop by the discussion section frequently, not only to post, but to read the postings of your peers and instructor. Engaging with your peers and learning together is key to this experience. For you initial post, choose one of the options below:
We will begin this topic by practicing the use of the scientific method. The steps of the scientific method are: observation, hypothesis, experiment, results, and theory. Using your understanding of the scientific method from your readings and lessons, you will be applying this knowledge to a real world situation. Take a real world scenario in the news, or another outside source and apply the scientific method, being sure to detail the controls on your experiment. Describe a result that would confirm your hypothesis.
Choose a scientific paper written in the last year. The Chamberlain library is a great source for this. For your chosen paper, look into the study and discuss how the scientific method was used in this paper. Be sure to note they hypothesis, variables, results, etc. Based on your understanding of the scientific method, be sure to discuss if you find this paper as a trustworthy source and why.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least one peer or the instructor. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification. Here are some suggestions for how you can add to the discussion and explore the unit 1 content in more detail:
- Respond to one of your classmates posts and contribute to their experiment design. How could you improve their experiment?
- Minimum of 2 posts (1 initial & 1 follow-up)
- Minimum of 2 source cited (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside source)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
Course Outcomes (CO): 1
- Encouraged completion date for initial post: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Wednesday
- Due date for all posts: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday
- Posts must be on two separate days