The DNA of Advocacy (Speech)
Your enthusiastic voice of advocacy will create enthusiasm in others to be part of your cause. Imagine that you are presenting at a conference and have five minutes to speak. This assignment is intended to help you “hear” your own voice of advocacy through a speech based on your DNA of an Advocacy Diagram.
The following instructions correspond to the scoring guide grading criteria, so be sure to address each point. Review the performance level-descriptions for each criterion to see how your work will be assessed.
Communicate the content of your diagram in a logically structured and concise speech to a group of health promotion practitioners that expresses your passion for changing the health outcomes of your selected issue. Your speech should be organized as follows:
- Welcome statement.
- Goal of speech.
- Goal and objectives of the selected health issue.
- Acknowledgement of the importance to select a strategy to identify stakeholders and in-depth justification of one of the strategies.
- Explanation of one strategy that would build partnerships and the rationale for choosing this strategy for the health issue.
- Three issues the practitioner must consider when inviting stakeholders to support the health issue.
- Three issues the stakeholder must consider when invited to commit time, talent, or funding to the health issue.
- Analysis of two political, two social, and two economic policies that stakeholders could support to improve health in diverse populations.
- Summary of key points.
- DNA of an Advocacy diagram.
Complete the following in your speech:
- Adapt communication strategies for stakeholder audiences. This includes:
- The goals and objectives.
- Your strategies and rationale to identify and invite stakeholders to build coalitions to influence health outcomes.
- The issues stakeholders must consider when committing their time, talent, and/or treasure to the health issue.
- Explain political, social, and economic policies and programs that stakeholders could support to improve health in diverse populations.
- Include two political, two social, and two economic policies and programs in your explanation.
- Advocate for a policy or program:
- “Sell” your position in your own words.
- Create a sense of urgency for this change.
- Summarize key points.